We present you former Rectors of the University of East Sarajevo, Prof. Vojislav Maksimovic University Rector in the period since 1993 to 2000, Prof. Dr. Borisa Starović, University Rector in the period since 2000 to 2005 and Prof. Dr. Mitar Novakovic, University Rector in the period since 2005 to 2014.
Vojislav Maksimovic, Ph.D.
Rector of the University from 1993 to 2000
Vojislav Maksimovicwas born on August 4th 1935 in Cvilin near Foca. He is the university professor, prose and essay writer. He finished elementary school in Foca and high school in Sarajevo and Belgrade. Vojislav Maksimovic graduated from the Faculty of Philosophy and defended his Doctoral thesis at the same Faculty. Together with group of intellectuals revived Serbian eduactional and cultural society-Prosvjeta in 1990. He was the rector of the University of Serb Sarajevo from 1993 to 2000. Also, he is the full member of the Academy of Science and Art of Republic of Srpska. He received several important medals in Republic of Srpska: medal of Republic of Srpska and Nemanjic medal. He lives and works in Belgrade.
Vojislav Maksimovic published many works, mainly essays, several novels, monography and lyrics. He received many awards.
- Vidjenja Bosne – essays
- Nekada i sada – essays
- Jovan Kršić – doctoral thesis
- Neka presudi vrijeme – essays
- Ispred svog doba – essays
- I namjerno i uzgredno – essays
- Prostori i pojave – essays
- U vremenu srpskog budjenja – speechs and interviews
- Putopisna i memoarska literatura – essays
- Vuk i sljedbenici – essays
- Starina i savremenost – essays
- Mitropolit Sava Kosanović – study
- Od usta do usta – novel
- Zavodišta – novel
- Ponešto – poetic prose
- Podneblja – lyrics
- Vaso Pelagić – monography
- 27. julska nagrada SRBiH
- 6. aprilska nagrada grada Sarajeva
- Nagrada “Laza Kostić”
- Nagrada “Vladimir Ćorović”
- Nagrada “Sveti Sava”
- Nagrada “Šušnjar”
- Orden bratstva i jedinstva sa srebrenim vijencem
- Orden Republike Srpske sa lentom
- Orden Nemanjića
Borisa Starovic M.D., Ph.D.
Rector of the University from 2000 to 2005
Borisa Starovic was born in Sarajevo in 1940. He finished classical high school in his hometown in 1958. and in the same year became a student of medicine. In 1964, he graduated as one of the best students in his generation. Borisa Starovic specialized in general surgery at the Surgery Clinic of the Medical Faculty in Sarajevo in 1973. He passed subspecialist exame-plastic and reconstructive surgery in 1976. As a doctor with British Councile scholarship he spent some time in the leading centers of hand surgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery and mycrosurgery in Great Britain (Edinburgh, Derby, London) where he started his work on the Doctoral thesis connected with reconstructive hand surgery during 1976-1977. That was the first Doctoral thesis in that field of medicine in former Yugoslavia. He successfully defended his thesis at the Medical Faculty Sarajevo in 1981.
He was one of the founders of the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Surgery Clinic at the University Medical Center in Sarajevo. After transformation of the mentioned Clinic, in 1977, he became its first manager and remained at that position till 1993. He was involved in the teaching proces at the Medical and Dentistry Faculties from 1972 when he became assisting teacher in surgery. After that, during his brilliant career, he became associated and full professor.
In1985, he was the vice-dean at the Medical Faculty and in 1988. he became the dean of the mentioned institution. He remained at that position till January 1993 when he left Sarajevo. On the first day of war, on April 6th 1992, he was the victime of assassination attempt. He spend 400 days as prisoner at his Clinic founded and led by him for 20 years. After leaving Sarajevo, he became the dean at the Medical Faculty University Sarajevo, Republic of Srpska and on September 18th 1993, he started with teaching process, organised in a form of university campus, in Clinical Center General Hospital Srbinje.
His university career was completed with the highest university position-the rector of the University Serb Sarajevo at which he remained for 6 years. He was mentor and member of 22 Master thesis and 8 Doctoral thesis at the Medical and Dentistry Faculties. He was co-ordinator or participant in more than 20 science research projects national or international. He organized many congresses, international professional meetings and many national symposiums. He received many awards among which Hippocrates award for his life work in 2003 was one of the most significant. His brilliant career, scientific results, contribution to science development were more than sufficient enough to put Borisa Starovic among founders of the Academy of Science and Art of Republic of Srpska. He was associated and full memeber of the Academy and he was the President of the Department of Medical Sciences, Secretary General and Vice-President.
He died on May 16th 2005.
Prof. dr Mitar Novaković
Rector of the University from 2005 to 2014
- Doctor of Biological Sciences: Faculty of Natural-mathematics Sciences, University of Sarajevo (1986) – theme Cyrogenetical testing of mutagenic effects of chromosome sets in chemical industry workers
- Master of sciences: Faculty of Medicine, Tuzla (1981) – the topic: Growth and pubertal development of male youth in the area of Tuzla
- Bachelor of Biology: Faculty of Natural-mathematics Sciences, University of Sarajevo (1969)
- 1978 – Assisting teacher – Faculty of Medicine, Tuzla
- 1981 – Docent – Faculty of Medicine, Tuzla
- 1986 – Associated professor – Faculty of Medicine, Tuzla
- 1991 – Full professor – Faculty of Medicine, Tuzla
Area of scientific research:
- Mutagenesis and carcinogenesis
Membership in organizations:
- Member of the editorial board of the “Journal of anthropologists of Serbia” Serbian Anthropologists Association
- Member of the Association AD Serbia
- President of the Anthropological Society of Republic of Srpska
- Member of Genetic association of Serbia and BiH
- Novaković M. Genetic and functional changes in workers in the chemical industry that occurred under the influence of chemical agents. SIZ sciences BiH, 1985.
- Novaković M. Cytogenetic study of mutagenic effects in industrial workers of Tuzla. Science Fund of the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina, 1991.
- Novaković M. Pubertetski razvoj muške omladine Tuzle. Glasnik Antrop. D.J., 18, 205-211,1981.
- Novaković M. Istraživanja kvantitativne individualne varijacije u stanovništvu BiH. Posebno izdanje Antrop. D J. 8, 41-46,1981.
- Novaković M., Švob T., Jovičić D. Etnička pripadnost i socijalno-ekonomski status ispitanika kao faktori pubertetskog razvoja. Glasnik Antrop. D.J. 20, 57-64, 1983.
- Novaković M., Dragnić Lj., Jovičić D., Čehić N. Populaciono-genetička analiza izbrazdanosti jezika. Glasnik Antrop. D.J. 22, 23-32,1985.
- Jovičić D., Sofradžija A., Novaković M, Alečković Z.Genetic analisys of the mutagenic effects of phenol on human peripherial blood celss. Genetika, 21, 147-154,1989.
- Jovičić D., Sofracija A., Novaković M. The efects of different concentations of „pure“ and tehnical phenol on root celss of Allium cepa.. Genetika, 21, 165-170,1989.
- Novaković M., Babić D., Milovanović A., Tiosavljević-Marić D., Novaković R., Novaković M. Antropological aspect of death in dialyzed patients, Coll. Antropol. 32 (2008)2: 587-594, received for publication, 2006
- Novaković M.,Babić D., Dedić G.,Leposavljević Lj., Milovanović A., Novaković M. Eutanasia of patients with the chronic renal failure. Collegium Antropologicum, Zagreb, 2007.
- Novaković M., Babić D., Milovanović A., Tiosavljević – Marić D., Novaković R., Novaković M. Antropological aspect of death in dialysed patients. Collegium Antropol. 32(2)587-94. Zagreb, 2008.
- Novaković M.,Babić D., Dedić G., Leposavljević Lj., Milovanović A., Novaković M. Eutanasia of patients with the chronic renal failure. Collegium Antropologicum, Zagreb, 2009.
- Švob T., Švob M., Novaković M. Osnove opće i humane genetike. Školska knjiga Zagreb, 1990 (prvo izdanje), 1992 (drugo dopunjeno izdanje).
- Novaković M., Vidović S. Praktikum za biologiji sa humanom genetikom. Medicinski fakultet Banja Luka, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2003.
- Vidović S., Novaković M. Osnovi biologije za studente i nastavnike razredne nastave. Zavod za ucbenike i nastavna sredstva Istočno Sarajevo, 2007.
- Novaković M., Pertović N., Jovanović D., Marić S. Osnovi nauke o ponašanju IP Mladost, Bijeljina, 2010.
- Kulić M., Stanimirović Z., Đelić N., Novaković M. Humana genetika, Medicinski fakultet Foča, 2010