Today’s East Sarajevo area was inhabited in prehistoric times, as evidenced by a large number of prehistoric necropolis and forts in Glasnice region; the most important are Mala Gradina in Bjelosavljevici, Gradina Puhovac, Kocev do and Taline.
One of the most important cultures of the Bronze and Iron Age in the European continent was named after the Glasinac plateau. This was the culture of one of the largest Illyrian tribal alliances – Autariats and it is divided into three phases (1800 – 800 BC). This culture represents a historical continuity with the Butmir Neolithic culture (2400 – 2000 BC), whose finds are located in the border area of the Federation of Bosnia and Sarajevo Canton with the Municipality of East Ilidza.
Although the area of the present city of East Sarajevo was part of the Roman Empire, Roman and ancient archaeological sites are not significantly present. In the Middle Ages this area was part of the Bosnian medieval state. In the late Middle Ages, the period of feudal particularism, in late 14th and early 15th century, a significant part of this area (Glasinac, Praca) is governed by the feudal family Pavlovic, who ruled the eastern part of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Ancient cities and fortresses such as Vitanj, Hreljin grad and Stari Grad over spring Paljanska Miljacka date from this period or earlier. Old Town Hodidjed above Miljacka river was controlled by the Bosnian king and one of the first cities in Bosnia that was conquered by the Ottomans.
In the whole area there are numerous necropolises with tombstones (“stecak”) from the medieval period. The most famous necropolises are the ones in Vojkovici, Krupac and Hresa.
With the fall of Bosnia in 1463 in this area goes under Ottoman rule as well . Important monuments from the Ottoman period were Selimija mosque in Knezina and Jahijino Turbe in Bjelasovici. In 1878. Austria – Hungary takes over Bosnia and Herzegovina, including the present area of East Sarajevo. Military barracks in Podromanija (within today’s complex of psychiatric hospital) is the architectural heritage of this period.
During the Civil War, 1992- 1995, Pale were the temporary capital of the the Republic of Srpska. There were the political and legal institutions: the Government and its agencies, the Assembly of the Republic of Srpska and others. At the same time there were also news agency SRNA, Kanal S TV studio, newspapers “Javnost” and “Ognjista”.
The first civil government in the territory of East Sarajevo was formed at the parliamentary session in the Town Hall of Lukavica in the late summer of 1992. Organized by the Trustees of the Serbian municipality of Novo Sarajevo, that was led by President of the Presidency of the Republic of Srpska Dragan Djokanovic, an assembly of the Municipality of Srpsko Novo Sarajevo was held, comprising members of the Assembly of Serbian nationality of the pre-war Sarajevo’s municipality Novo Sarajevo. Invited board members were elected at multi-party 1990 elections; they were elected by the municipal executive board, and Branko Radan became the first President of the Executive Committee.
Civil war in Bosnia and Herzegovina was finished with the signing of the Dayton Agreement, on 14th December 1995 , when the exhausted conflict actors were given the opportunity to resolve their mutual disagreements through democratic means.