Strategic Management of Higher Education Institutions Based on Integrated Quality Assurance System (SHEQA)
Title of the project:“Strategic Management of Higher Education Institutions Based on Integrated Quality Assurance System (SHEQA)”
Duration: 36 months (2010-2013)
Wider objective: Improvement of the quality assurance system in a way that it becomes an instrument of strategic management of B&H universities and together with the Agency for development of higher education and quality assurance and authorized ministries supports the structural reform of higher education reform in the entire Bosnia and Herzegovina.
As far as national level is concerned, only standards and guidelines for quality assurance have been adopted. Quality assurance is not recognized as an instrument for strategic management of universities. The existing situation without clearly defined key performance indicators (KPI) at the national level and the lack of a register of study programmes does not allow comparison of universities in B&H or a benchmark with EU Universities, especially regarding learning outcomes, competences, relation to society, etc.
A national register of study programmes should enable an overview of learning outcomes and competences of study programmes in a clear structure of qualitative and quantitative information (for potential students, potential employers, Agency for higher education and quality assurance and authorized Ministries, which is the basis for mobility of teachers and students). Register of study programmes contains also information regarding evaluation, learning outcomes and competences, ECTS credits, etc. With defined KPI the register of study programmes represents the basis for accreditation and planning of higher education done by authorized ministries.
Specific project objectives:
- Analysis and comparison of the best practices of development of key performance indicators for higher education institutions in Europe
- Defining and implementation of key performance indicators of higher education institutions in B&H
- Development and implementation of the register of study programmes of higher education institutions in B&H
- Contribution to strengthening and development of strategic management of higher education institutions in B&H on the basis of key performance indicators used in the European area of higher education
- Improvement of cooperation with the Agency for development of higher education and quality assurance and authorized ministries of education
After evaluation of the state in the area of key performance indicators in EU, a set of common key performance indicators will be developed for B&H Universities, as well as the monitoring system. Staff members of the B&H universities’ management will be trained for monitoring KPI and for using KPI in strategic governance of the University. After analysis of information, which each University must have at its disposal, a register of all study programmes in higher education in B&H will be developed. Together with the defined KPI, this will enable collecting all necessary information for the strategic management of the University: accreditation, evaluation, planning, enrolment procedures, etc.
The main outcomes of this project are:
- Development of a set of common KPI for B&H Universities
- Development of the system for monitoring of KPI at B&H Universities
- Improvement of cooperation with the Agency for higher education and quality assurance and authorized ministries of higher education
- Capacity building of Universities in B&H
- Support for strategic management of HEI in B&H
- Dissemination of project results
- Sustainability of project results
- Quality control and monitoring
- Project management
The benefit of this project realization is multiple for all users of QA system: University management, students, teaching and administrative staff, Agency for higher education and quality assurance, authorized ministries of education, employers, governments of cantons, Federation, RS and Council of Ministers.
Continuous monitoring and analysis of KPI will create a basis not only for strategic planning of higher education institutions, but also for planning of higher education done by authorized institutions, both cantonal and state ones. Students, either current or potential ones, will have necessary information about study programmes (curricula, enrolment quotas, study programmes offer, learning outcomes, required competences, etc.).
Work of administrative staff will be facilitated in collecting and analyzing data in more flexible curricula. Academic staff can make a comparison of courses and modules within study programmes, including indicators with info on the success rate of students.
Public authorities can have information based on KPI and the register of study programmes can be used as an instrument in creating policy of higher education and allocation of funds. The register of study programmes can give to employers a clear overview of available study programmes and the number of graduated students in certain areas.
KPI and the creation of register of study programmes would also considerably facilitate the evaluation and accreditation processes, as defined by the Agency for higher education and quality assurance.
Partners in the project are:
- KaHo Sint Lieven Hogeschool, Gent, Belgija – контрактор
- University of Mostar – project coordinator in B&H
- WUS Austria
- University of Zenica
- University of Banja Luka
- University of East Sarajevo
- University of Tuzla
- University of Sarajevo
- University Dzemal Bijedic
- University of Bihać
- Agency for development of higher education and quality assurance
- University of Girona, Spain
- University College Cork, Irska
- University of Maribor, Slovenia
- Ministry of education, science, culture and sport of West Herzegovina canton
- Ministry of education, science, culture and sport of Zenica-Doboj canton
- Ministry of education and science of Canton Sarajevo
- Ministry of education and science of Republic Srpska